THE 5 FACTORS OF PTP
“I have Location A and Location B that I want to connect together and share data. Can you do this?”
That’s a typical example of the type of question I get from a customer every now and then. Most of the time the reason behind this is that customers don’t know what factors affect establishing a connection between 2 locations using a wireless solution. This article aims to address this repetitive question and provide knowledge that may otherwise be answered in a very diplomatic way by certain vendors and manufacturers in the industry.
- Distance – Majority of the questions that I get revolve around this factor.
- LOS (Line of Sight)– this is the second most common question type I get. Sadly this should be the first question.
- Throughput requirement – The 3rd most popular request from customer’s who claim they require high bandwidth.
- Link availability – This question I’m never asked at all. The main reason being customers don’t even know that it exists.
- Legal Approvals (frequency and TRA) – this is usually the last question I’m asked.
- Environmental Factors – Like temperature, humidity etc.
Now for my most popular way of addressing all of this: Questions!
Sadly the first question that is asked is actually price. Unfortunately, unlike Carrefour that has a box moving, high volume mentality wireless is more a solution oriented design approach. A lot of time is spent in designing the solution with all variables in mind to make the solution rigid and reliable. All good ISP’s have this approach and that’s why we choose them to be our service providers for our cell phones. As a user of the wireless, one must have the same approach.
I’ve decided that its a better idea and it would more in-depth if i were to discuss the questions related to each factor separately. Look forward to it in my next blog posts.
- PTP Ex-Dividend Reminder – 8/29/13 (forbes.com)
- Can 4G wireless take on traditional broadband? (reviews.cnet.com)